Advertisement

Light vs Composition in a Landscape Photography Image

Light vs Composition in a Landscape Photography Image There’s a bit of a discussion going around about what’s more important when it comes to capturing a landscape image, light or composition. So in this video, I thought I’d share my thoughts on this and how I think it can impact and improve the images we capture.

For 10% off your first purchase at Squarespace, go to (Use the Discount Code - ANDREWMARR)

Download my FREE Composition Cheatsheet -

I've previously talked about when I am capturing a landscape image I look at the scene I’m photographing and work out the story I want to tell. The elements in the scene and how they interact to make up the story. How I decide to tell that story (what I include, what I emphasis and how I guide the viewer through the scene) is the composition.

Some of those elements are static, they don’t move like rocks, mountains, cliffs, and for the most part trees. Some scenes will also have dynamic elements like wind or water as well as light. These elements are either moving or constantly changing. I consider Light as just one of those elements in the scene.

The composition isn’t part of the story, but it’s how the story of the landscape is told. So I see composition as an essential part of every image because without an effective composition that supports the story I’m trying to capture, the image doesn’t have as much impact.

It can be helpful to recognise that some landscapes can be easier to shoot than others. However, I don’t think that composition is any less important even in an image of mountain ranges, just that in many cases, the composition is more obvious.

So how can this approach help with our landscape photography?

1. Don’t be ruled by the light - Don’t limit yourself to only shooting with stunning light.

2. Don’t rely on good light to make a good landscape image - Instead, build up your composition skills.

3. While we can’t control the light - It is helpful to develop an understanding of how to read the light.

Join Andrew and me in August 2020 in Tasmania -

MAIN LANDSCAPE KIT
My NEW main camera -
New Tripod -
New Ball Head -
'L' Bracket -
Best lens for those big vistas -
Most used lens -
When I need that extra reach -

MIRRORLESS SETUP
Mirrorless Camera -
Wide angle lens -
Mid-range lens -
Light weight Zoom Lens -
Travel Tripod -

FILTER SYSTEM
NEW LEE100 Filter Holder -
NEW LEE100 Polariser Ring -
NEW LEE100 Polariser and Ring -
Slim Landscape Polariser -
ND Soft Grad Filters -
ND Hard Grad Filters -
ND Reverse Grad Filters -
Little Stopper -
Big Stopper -
6 Stop ProGlass -
10 Stop ProGlass -

ACCESSORIES
Keep those filters Handy -
Reduce Vignetting Adapter Ring -
Don't leave home with this -

AERIAL TOOLBOX
My Favourite Drone -
Fly More Kit -
Best Drone Filters -

VLOGGING GEAR
Main Video Camera -
Mini Tripod -
Camera Mic -
Lav Mic setup -
Capture Sound -

CONNECT WITH ME
Instagram (for other images) |
Facebook (ask me questions) |
Twitter (for my latest adventures) |

WANT TO SEE MORE OF MY ADVENTURES?
Landscape Photography Adventures in Iceland -
Landscape Photography in the UK -
Seascape Photography Images -
Post-Processing Landscape Photography Images -


************ PLEASE SUBSCRIBE *************
If you’d like to be notified when I upload my next landscape photography adventure, please subscribe to my channel |
*******************************************

Thank you for your support! :)

#Composition #Light #LandscapePhotography

Image

Post a Comment

0 Comments