Advertisement

Recipients recall the moments after hearing they'd won Academy Awards

Recipients recall the moments after hearing they'd won Academy Awards (29 Jan 2020) OSCAR WINS: FOR ARKIN, AN OUT-OF-BODY EXPERIENCE; FOR DAVIS, 'A BLUR'

Alan Arkin says it was an out-of-body experience. And, Geena Davis, the whole thing 'became a sort of blur.'"

As we barrel into the 92nd Annual Academy Awards, former Oscar recipients were asked to reflect on the moments following the announcements of their wins.

In 1989, Geena Davis was named best supporting actress for "The Accidental Tourist."

"Oh, gosh, I was so shocked, and it all became a sort of blur," she recalled. "I just wandered up on stage and then Melanie Griffith kissed me. Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson. She kissed me. And I remember thinking, 'Oh, I bet I have lipstick on my face now.' So that when I was giving my acceptance speech, I kept (wiping her face). I was like this and people thought, 'Oh, she's shy' or something. But I was actually like, 'Oh, lipstick on.'"

In 2007, Alan Arkin was named best supporting actor for "Little Miss Sunshine":

"I remember it vividly," he said. "You leave your body and somebody else takes over and that's what it was like for about three days. I wasn't there. I was somewhere else. I don't know where, I didn't know where I was. And I don't know where my body was. In two different places."

In 2014, Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee and Peter Del Vecho won  for best animated feature film for "Frozen"

"I remember feeling that deep sense of pride for our studio, for everybody who worked so hard on the film. I think we all thought this was their award and we were just happy to share it with them," Del Vecho said.

Added Lee, "Yeah, I think that what was so amazing that night was how warm everyone was. It was a beautiful night of people just saying, 'Welcome. You've done incredible work. Good for you for all that you've given to each other.' Strangers who didn't even know us, I remember just that night there was a lot of love there."

This year's Academy Awards is set for Feb. 9 at the Dolby Theatre in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles.



Find out more about AP Archive:

Twitter:

Facebook:

Google+:

Tumblr:

Instagram:





You can license this story through AP Archive:

AP Archive,4251749,e4bc0ccc511e4760b7a0563a851ff7a1,US CE Oscar Moment Pt 2,Los Angeles,California,United States,Melanie Griffith,Don Johnson,Alan Arkin,Geena Davis,Chris Buck,Academy Awards,Arts and entertainment,

Post a Comment

0 Comments